Volunteers are the heart of OHS!
The Ontario Humanist Society is run entirely by volunteers and we rely on the dedication of our supporters to help us achieve our mission. All of our volunteer positions are done from home, on your own time, and commitments can vary from an hour or two a month to several hours a week if you have the time! No specific experience is required – we are interested in your individual skills and enthusiasm.
If you are interested in working with us, please contact Cathy at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
We are currently looking to fill the following positions:
The Board of Directors at OHS have the following responsibilities:
- Commit to setting board policies in keeping with our mission and vision
- Commit to attending and participating in monthly board meetings (via teleconference, in the evenings) and the Annual General Meeting (location varies – assistance with travel costs is available)
- Active correspondence with other board members via email in between meetings
- Active participation in one or more board committees
- An understanding of the confidentiality of all Board business
- Time commitment of approximately 5-10 hours per month for a renewable 2 year term
Each Project Leader would be responsible for launching and running one OHS project with the support of the Board and other volunteers. There are a variety of projects we would like to run, such as:
- Speakers Bureau
- Recruit members who would be interested in speaking publicly about Humanism
- Create a list of potential speaking topics and, potentially, draft speech outlines
- Publicize the Bureau to local groups and other venues that may wish to host a Speaker
- Humanism Helps
- Research charities and non-profits that Humanists would be comfortable supporting
- Publicize chosen charities via OHS Social Media channels
- Look for Humanist-friendly volunteer opportunities
- Arrange events for OHS members (participate in charity fun-run, community clean-up day, etc.)
- Local Group Development
- Develop a selection of resources to assist members in setting up local groups
- Offer support to existing local groups
- Facilitate teleconferences for local group leaders to share ideas
- OHS Book Club
- Select appropriate books, arrange and facilitate discussion meetings
- Project of Your Choice!
- Is there something you think we should be doing? Tell us! If it fits with OHS mission and values, we’ll support you in getting it launched!
Writer (Press Releases and Statements)
We’d like to be able to issue timely statements in response to current events and we would like to have a small group of writers able to help as needed.
Member Chat Facilitators
Hosting and facilitating a monthly, social teleconference for OHS members; choosing discussion topics and publicizing the discussions via OHS Social Media Channels.
This position would involve being the initial point of contact for new volunteers, providing information on current volunteer opportunities, and then putting them in touch with the appropriate board or committee member. In the long term, this position could involve creating a more formal intake/screening process and a volunteer appreciation program.